View Single Post
Old 01-29-2017, 12:14 PM
Guru

I find 2 things that help number one a good magnet wich I think you said you have right? also are you grinding the blade vertically or horizontal? I always start off vertical my reason is you can fit more of the blade on the platen if its vertical compared to horizontal and that give less wiggle room for error. if it horizontal its eaisier to tilt it off the corner of the platen one way or the other. and yes I tend to move it around a lil not much just a lil circle kinda never letting the blade go off the side of the platen if the blade is biger than the platen than obviously you have to go over the top or bottom ....but as I said the whole point is so you cant tilt the blade off the side the extreme of tilting it would be having the blade only riding on the edge of the platen not on the flat but even a lil to much pressure on one side will make the other lift up slightly....the fact you got those dark lines means your close your not way off wher you get divots or ridges so just try doing it vertically and move it in a circle if you want just don't let the blade go off the side one way or another...go slow and be very conscious of your movements and I think it will come out better... I usually do the whole blade vertically up to what ever grit I want 400. 600 what ever THen I go back put the bevels in and finish them and you end up with the lines on the flat going tip to tang and the bevel spine to edge wich give it a cool look but even if you want to change the direction since I alreay went to 400 or 600 its easy enough to do without having to take off a bunch of material