View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 01:50 PM

Hey guys,
Just wanted to thank everyone that stepped in and offered help/insight. I decided to just keep the CrV steel to play around with, see if I can find/get a true composition. Luckily for my friend I have some 5160 that I had scavenged. I can't remember where, though. When I was physically capable of holding a job I used to be something of a "pack rat". If I saw something that "could be yseful sometime" I would snatch it up. As a result, I ended up with almost everything I needed to set up shop in a way that lets me sit and be able to reach just about everything. What I can't reach......that's why man created casters! Lol.
I also ended up with some broken Stanley Wonder Bars (they are close to 5160), some narrow, but on the thick side, (about 1 1/4 x 1/4) 5160 that was used to recreate a replica of an old time carriage, about 80' of 3/8 cable (uncoated, not SS, but definitely higher mid to high carbon...winch cable i believe, from a tow truck) and about 15 pieces, 48" long cuts, of bandsaw blade from a local metal supplier, and a "slab" (1"x4"x17") of either m2 or m3. I use the m2 (3) steel for upsetting. I torture it actually, but nothing I do seems to be able to hurt it! Would love to be able to shave it down and work with it, might make some tough knives.

But seriously, thank you everyone. The manner you treat everyone in my level of experience is the reason this is the only forum I joined.