View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 12:35 AM

So, when was the last time you got ready to use that belt one more time and burned the edge, or something like that, or - since they cost so much - use that "brand new" one that you have had in storage for 5 yrs. - and it broke, putting you and your knife in danger? Or...as in my case more than once, tired to get one more "etch" out of that trademark stencil. I did it tonight. On top of it being an old stencil, it was also probably more used than it should have been before being thrown away. Well, I did it, and ended up grinding and polishing the messed-up logo out, getting out a new stencil and re-etching the knife! Yes, I had that little voice, or thought that says, "Don't use that old stencil." But I ignored it and ended up getting that new stencil out, anyway. Then there is the late night work. I get to a point where if I keep plugging on, no matter how tired I am I'm risking safety as well as ability. Too tired is too tired! Lesson: If you think it, follow that prompt, 'cause it usually right. It's a lot easier, cheaper, safer and less frustrating, to forget about the cost, which is usually minimal, anyway, or stopping while you're still ahead and going to bed and, "Follow that feeling." I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about. If it doesn't feel good, DON'T DO IT! (To paraphrase an old '60's theme). Hope this made some sense - and also that it saves someone some frustration.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift

Last edited by Steve; 02-21-2012 at 09:24 AM.