View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 01:56 PM

Bob always had some coffee cans with holes in their lids sitting around on the floor of the shop, perhaps under the bench, that had "MT 45," or "MT 9mm," or "MT 38" on the plastic lids. These were for collecting "empty" brass from times out at the range, or on the desert whenever he'd go shooting. An older fellow by the name of Johnnie Gillespie, who lived a ways up north, would drop by, once or twice a year and pick them up and leave a bunch of loaded ammo in brown paper bags, folded over and sealed with his label. I bought some of these and finally fired the last ones a couple of years ago. They were getting a little sluggish, but they were at least 20-30 year old reloads. Didn't want to make my 45 function very snappily!" I think Mr. Gillespie was having a kind of hard time and Bob enjoyed buying his ammo and helping him out a bit, plus they were good reloads. As mentioned, the 45 and the old S&W Triple Lock were two of his favorites, but most any pistol held an interest for him. He liked the S&W Bodyguard, also, as I recall. We visited the Auto Mag facility a couple of times, maybe and on he second visit, I think, he and Mr. Sanford made the trade of a knife (Fighter or Boot?) for the pistol. It surely would be great to see that pistol again, with the serial number that includes, either "RWL" or "RL" as part of the number. I can't remember exactly what the ser.# was.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift