Thread: Old file info
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 04:45 PM

Nicholson Black Diamond files have been discussed at length herein. There have been many who indicate that they are 1095 with added carbon.

A few years ago, wanting to get the straight answer from the horse's mouth, I called Nicholson. After getting bounced around a bit from tech guy to tech guy, I finally landed with a gentlemen who indicated that their steel blend is proprietary and that he could not reveal it. I told him what I had heard about the 1095 plus carbon recipe. He was non committal. We actually had a lengthy conversation as I explained not only that I wanted to make knives from their old files, but we even discussed the types of knives. He himself was not a knifemaker, but he was both curious and guarded at the same time.

Grateful for his time and attention, but getting just a bit frustrated, I asked him how I should heat treat it for a good utility knife. I think at this point, he realized that I wasn't a competitor. There was a long pause... and finally, he said, "Heat treat it exactly like W-2". He said nothing more.

I thanked him for his time and advice.

Take that story for what it's worth.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."