View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 05:03 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Caffrey View Post
I agree... COAT THE WOOL!

I would also add that you're likely going to have issues using the "weed burner"..... 1. The sizing of the burner to the forge is way out... what's happening is you've got far too much fuel being "pumped" into that size of a forge chamber....so the excess is going outside and using the oxygen in the surrounding atmosphere for combustion. You're just not going to be able to control a venturi burner of that size versus the forge chamber size.
3. Based on the point inside a "weed burner" where ignition takes place, it's common that using it in this scenario, and as it heats up with extended use, they will often "pre ignite" and become dangerous. Just be cautious with it!
Everyone can breath easy (pun intended) the wool is coated.

I used it today and found out what Ed says is spot on. This weed burner, as a burner, pumps too much fuel into the chamber for it's size so a lot of the fuel is combusted outside of the chamber. Much too much fuel is wasted and the chamber, while hot, doesn't get REALLY hot, again I suspect because it just isn't efficient. I would say it is hot enough to forge a knife, barely, and hot enough to heat treat easily. It gets hot enough to forge mild steel, but not NEARLY hot enough to even consider forge welding. Which is kind of what I'm shooting for. Other than maybe some old files turned into knives for personal use, I can't see much time forging knives. I do stock removal and make some decent knives.

On the other hand, I DO have an interest in in perhaps making some throwing tomahawks for fun from old files or farrier rasps. But to do a folded head it has to be able to get hot enough to forge weld.

So I did enjoy making some tongs. I dinked around a long time, not really knowing what I was doing and while they ended up pretty rough, they are functional. I made out of 3/8" mild steel, next I'll use some 1/2" for a sturdier pair and can hopefully do a little better next time.

I did try to forge a knife from an old file. Like I said, there is just barely enough heat and really, not quite enough. Well, that's my opinion based on my forging experience which is squat.

I did have a big ole heavy file and so attempted the hawk. While there was, again, just enough heat to do the initial drawing in the center and folding it, no way was it going to forge weld. So I'll save this for another time hopefully.

Actually had a lot of fun trying out this experiment. Enough that I will probably spend a little more bucks and time and make a burner. I burned up most of a full 20lb. propane tank so this won't work for sure. Need something hotter and more efficient. I'll probably Ray's advice and go the homemade burner route.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!