View Single Post
Old 12-08-2016, 09:59 PM
Enthusiast

I am also primarily a woodworker, so I understand where you are coming from. Many of my first knives were done using purchased finished blades that I installed the handles. Most of my woodworking tools worked fine for that. However, I did purchase a set of diamond files and a couple diamond sharpening stones. They made life much easier!
But I wanted to get into making my own blades. I purchased a used 1" x 30" belt sander at an estate sale, and some good metal grinding belts from Grainger. Then from the advise of good people here, I purchased some D2 from the New Jersey Steel Barron. Very good unhardened metal. It can be worked easily (?) with regular files and the belt sander. However, it must be normalized first, then heat treated when shaping is complete. Some very helpful people here provided those processes. I use a small electric kiln capable of reaching 2000 degrees for these procedures (also purchased at an estate sale.) It works great for anything shorter than 18 inches. I have less than $500 invested, and have been able to produce some what I think are respectable knives. I have some photos in the gallery under Grayshadow95 Knives. Currently working on three more with D2 steel.