View Single Post
Old 10-03-2002, 02:25 PM
Living Legend

Logo Etching Stencil Manufacturers

I am long overdue on getting this information out, and I apologize for the delays. I hope this may be of some benefit to those who do electrochemical marking of their logos.
That said, after an abysmal experience with Marking Methods, I undertook contacting several stencil manufacturers, and obtained sample stencils and pricing information to pass on to the forum members.
All of the folks I contacted were friendly and helpful. None hesitated to send me samples. A couple even offered to cut a sample from my artwork, which was above and beyond.
In subsequent posts, I will detail the information as I understand it regarding pricing, stencil description, etc. Pricing is difficult to compare as everyone seems to structure it differently. Manufacturers will be e-mailed this thread URL and be encouraged to comment as they feel necessary.

I cut sample stencils in the following manner:
A bar of ATS34 was surface ground to 120 grit then HT'd and tempered to Rc=58. The surface was then reground, then finished to 220 grit and oversanded with 400 grit paper to approximate a working handfinish.
Using a Marking Methods Mark Mark 300 unit with the power set to "3", and the standard large graphite electrode with MSC-1 electrolyte, a cleaned electrode and fresh application batting was used for each stencil. The DC/ deep etch was done for 13 strikes of 3 seconds each, with a 2-5 second interval between, followed by 5 strikes of 3 seconds on AC/ Normal etch to blacken. (note: some were less strikes due to the stencil, see below). The stencils were not tested for longevity. The etches were then checked with a magnifier for crispness of etch boundary.

I wish to gratefully thank the manufacturers for their kind willingness to supply information and stencil samples.