View Single Post
Old 02-29-2016, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
After checking on the new forge this morning, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it appeared cured enough to remove the forms....so I did. It wasn't too tough of a job. I cut the tape with a razor knife, and pried the forms out of the "door" areas. Luckily, everything came out smoothly.

I suspected there would be some dressing up needed on the door openings, so I grabbed a ceramic tile file that's been in the shop for years.....

After a bit up filing with it, I got the front and rear opening cleaned up nicely........

I'm think that forming in a "flame channel" might have been a good thing. Guess I'll find out when it cures enough to put in place and fire. A little bit of the duct tape got hung up in the curing refractory, but my guess is that won't be any big deal....it should just burn out when I fire the forge for the first time.

Looks like my measurements worked out correctly for using fire brick in the front and back "doors"... here's a pic of the front door...from inside the forge....

I'm thinking that after it cures, I'll take the torch to the inside to burn away all the stuff left over by the forms...... gotta make sure the surfaces are fairly clean prior to coating the interior with ITC-100.

As it gets closer to completion, I'll take some pics of the burner assembly, and might even do some video.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."