View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Quote:
What I was referring to is the joining of the scale, spacer, then bolster in-line on a full tang.
(spacer between scale and bolster). All three being different materials to get them perfectly
sanded down without digging into the other or ruining the finish on one of them.
I hope this clarifies.

I've not tried anything like that in a LONG time. There reason being is that its such a tedious job to build it, that I can never get my time/effort back out of it.

About sanding/finishing something like that, I would do it on a slack belt....its not difficult to get things to come down evenly......its just VERY time consuming. You just have to go SLOW. Ideally what I do is grind as close as I dare with a "Y" or "X" weight belt in 50 grit, then just leave enough to clean up with the finer grits. Its the "J" weight belts that cause the uneveness, because of their extreme flexibility. You still have to use them, but minizing their use to just "clean up" helps prevent the uneven grinding thing.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."