View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 09:05 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

At the time it is forged that section would have that 'grain flow' as described but there would also be considerable stress at that point because of the forging. That stress will be relieved during the heat treat process - the same process that will re-align all the grain in the blade. That's the same thing that will happen to a stock removal blade during heat treat. If the forged blade is stronger at that point it would be hard to say the difference was great.

All my blades are stub tang - little short 2" tangs, even on a 22" short sword thing I made. All stock removal. Never had one break at the tang or anywhere else except for one where the burl handle came apart. The sword especially has been tested by anybody that comes over here by slamming it into a stump and then twisting and bending the blade. This has been going on for 17 years and so far not the slightest separation of the handle from the tang and no complaint from the tang. My feeling is that if you have a failure at that point the cause is more likely to be poor heat treatment or poor construction technique than the method used to shape the blade ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!