Thread: Inlaying Gold
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 02:19 PM

Tim
I use a high speed or carbide bur to make a convex indent in the metal and simply undercut normally in three directions at about a 60 degree angle. That would put the undercuts almost in the base of the convex cut. Then I take a beading tool a little less than the diameter of the convex hole...place a piece of gold wire over the cup and take the beading tool...mounted in the engraving tool ( Lindsay ) and press down on the foot pedal and WA LA a little bead in the indented hole. Because the beading tool is left with sharp edges it will normally trim the gold to fit....if it doesn't then I clean it up with a brass or nickel chisel so as not to scratch the surrounding metal.

To answer Mikes question:
I have used a mill grain tool but it doesn't give high enough beads. Plus when mounted in the engraving tool I normally break the little axel that holds the mill grain wheel. I find that it works fairly fast with the beading tool even though there is allot of clean-up. To make a tapered stack of gold beads I use two or three different sizes of beading tools. I am open to a better idea....or even would like to know where to get a really high quality mill grain set. I really like the effect of the beading....look nice on certain projects.

Tim...If you don't have a beading tool...I will be glad to make one and send it to you. Mike is a jeweler and I bet he has a complete set....if not the offer is good for you too.
Thanks
Jim

Andy, didn't mean to take over your thread......