View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 05:51 AM
Hall of Famer

Andrew,

It makes sense to me. I also agree that the distinction between hand made and hand crafted is a little too fine. The difference between using a belt grinder vs. sandpaper/file is not that different than the distinction between using a hand-held hammer vs. a trip/power hammer. The machine speeds up the process, it does not dictate the outcome. The maker does.

We should also recognize that there are words that have already established somewhat of a definition over time. For example:

Tribal or Neo-tribal--through the works of Wayne Goddard, Tai Goo, and others, this has come to mean that a knife has been completed without any power. A hand-held hammer, files, stones, and sandpaper were used to form and finish the blade. A hand saw was used to cut handle material. The heat source for forging is traditionally charcoal, but I think the group here recognizes propane as well. As long as no power tools are used, I think they would recognize stock removal knives as well in this definition.

Primitive--To me, this almost refers more to the look or style of a knife as it does to how it was made. A primitive knife can be made with primitive (neo-tribal) methods, or it can just look that way having been made with power tools, etc.