View Single Post
Old 01-30-2016, 08:35 AM
Enthusiast

Doug, Thanks for all your help. I really don't have much left to find answers to and none of it is super complicated. I just don't agree with everyone's approach to HT, some I do some I don't. I do have an extensive technical background and I'm not new to research, facts, opinions, techniques, manufacturing procedures or when there is the need for more precise procedures, times and temp's.
I would just like to make some small comments to possibly clarify my thinking on heat treating for anyone that reads this, and is not directed specifically at you, Doug.

I can see that not everyone approaches heat treating the same and nor do I expect them to.
I purposely originally stated in my opening thread that I am a rather exacting/precise person looking for a few specific HT questions answered.
I feel that heat treating is also a more exacting process in order to achieve the same exact results each time it is performed on any given steel, thus my need to decide on an INITIAL proven recipe to try.
As stated many times, I also am attempting to save some time, money and effort. I have no need to reinvent the wheel here, but I did expect to find some "for sure" methods. It turned out that some for sure things were found, but one or two are still remaining.

I did find some answers which I am very thankful for. Right now I am down to two questions left that
I have been unable to find definitive answers to so far on this forum. I searched and searched and found some general incomplete answers that didn't have a certain "how" or sometimes "why" addressed.

I have no doubt there is a "best" way to heat treat 1095 while using an electric kiln and Canola oil as a quench medium. I have already stated that I realize people will have their own certain variations and techniques and still achieve some kind of success. Is everyone's success with 1095 as high a quality as it could or should be? Not necessarily, but they may think it is in their opinion. I can only hope that they all did the proper testing to be sure of that, or maybe it's really not that important to know as long as their knife works! At any rate.....it IS important to me.

1) The question of preheated oven versus cold oven I have found definite difference's of opinion. I know both methods will work, but I also know one is PROBABLY better than the other. I personally feel that a compromise or variation would be a plus, based on scale formation and to have assurance of blade being up to temp before the soak. I listed my variation earlier. I will be using my variation method, dead issue. I actually had not brought this question up recently because I had already stated I felt my variation would be worth trying and therefore a dead issue with me.

2) The quench methods I listed earlier are an important issue for me. I will have to make a decision on which method to try first. I was hoping to get more input on the three methods, but so far no one has wanted to clarify or expound on their chosen method. I would then have more to go by regarding why they chose that method....if they even had a real reason or just chose it because they read it once somewhere! They probably all work, but I have a strong feeling that one of them might be the better choice for 1095.

3) As far as which home brew anti-scale/decarb coating might be the best to try first is NOT as important an issue. I will just have to try different ones and note the results. I want to use an anti-scale coating anyway and I'll bet they all work to some extent. I have to do some final grinding/sanding with or without an anti-scale coating anyway. I will be leaving my blade a little thicker for HT.

I hope this may clear things up a little. I do appreciate all the help I have received thus far. If no one has anything more to offer regarding my last two items......so be it.
I am very confident that either way I will achieve success with 1095 for my style knife. If I didn't think so I would have never bought 1095. I just had some specific questions I wanted to gather some more info on in order to make educated intelligent decisions on and also hopefully save me time, effort and money. I also don't want to use any more of my 1095 for testing than I have to. Yes, it's a necessary expense but I want to keep it to a minimum.
I will not be repeating the above explanations, so don't worry!
I will just sit back and see if I get any more info on the two remaining items.
Thanks, DAVID