View Single Post
Old 01-28-2016, 08:01 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks WNC Goater for the comments, but I have to disagree with your opinion that I am overthinking it.

Yes, I do have MOST of a proven recipe for the equipment I will be using. The variable technique that needs to be decided on FOR MY FIRST ATTEMPTS AT QUENCHING remains unanswered. I would PREFER to TRY the one of three methods I mentioned that MOST experienced 1095 people have found to work for them. This might possibly save me some time, effort and money INITIALLY. I may or may not end up trying the other two methods in time.

I strongly believe in doing my research FIRST before purchasing equipment and just diving in blind, then I can choose what I feel are the best investments in equip. and time and effort. As I said before, I don't have a lot of money or time to be wasted. If you want to think I am "overthinking" things that is your prerogative....I call my in depth research smart when larger amounts of money and time are involved. I learned many, many years ago to not jump into MAJOR endeavors blindly and take my time with research FIRST. To each his or her own ways of "getting into a project/endeavor"......I think my way is smarter and safer and will enable me to have success much sooner with more money in my pocket. I won't be wasting my time and money on items and techniques that have already been PROVEN to NOT work the best by the majority of 1095 experienced people using an elect. kiln and Canola.

I only have two things left to decide regarding my FIRST recipe/technique of choice to try:

1) Which quenching method to try FIRST out of the three I mentioned. I'll bet anything that one of the three methods is used much more often by people using 1095 and Canola oil.

2) Which less expensive(than ATP641) anti-scale coating to try FIRST choosing from the following:

A) Some type of Borax/Boron mixture or straight water dissolved Borax.
B) Some type of soap.
C) White paint markers.
D) High Heat paint.
E) Milk of Magnesia (Magnesium Hydroxide)

Input from experienced people on the above two topics will possibly help me save some time and money versus doing ALL the experimentation myself. This way I have some info to help me make an INFORMED intelligent decision. If I don't get enough input/info from people regarding these last two items then I will just have to experiment myself, not as big a deal regarding the anti-scale coating as it is for the quench method. Yes, I will be initially using "coupons" and some ground sample blades which is necessary anyway but I am just attempting to keep this to a minimum due to time and money restraints.
Thanks, DAVID