View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 09:16 AM

Such is the beauty of forums--ask a question, get plenty of information in response to guide your efforts.

I wish I'd been more influenced early on by the 'hammer and anvil' path, but the most technically influential information regarding process that I received early on was from Bob Loveless' book. Bob followed a pretty narrow path exclusive to stock removal (to my knowledge). Even before that, I read David Boye's book when I was 12 years old. David also did stock removal.

Ed's point is spot on--two different discussions. However, you can talk about 'grain flow' for about 10 seconds before that conversation slides into 'forging vs stock removal'. That's just the nature of it.

Fortunatley, the discussions on this forum are very civil in regard to the subject. Elsewhere, makers who choose the stock removal method feel looked down on or dismissed as 'not serious makers' for that choice. The implication is that they are short-changing their clients or cutting corners because they are not forging their blades, making their own Damascus, etc. I hope no one feels like that here.

Thanks for keeping it classy gang!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."