View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 10:10 AM
Guru

Thanks Mr. Caffrey.

I know you have a name and your knives will fetch a higher price than mine even if they were exactly the same. I was just looking at the knives you have in your link and to me they are all really fancy knives even though as you said they are quite functional. Different perspectives and different equipment. I do not even have a buffing machine or anywhere to put it if I did, let alone a forge of my own.

My filet knives were all hand finished with a linear 600 grit finish and 3/16 mosaic pins and dymondwood, but I made about $100 profit per knife and when I sell S30V I always give a small 600 grit diamond EZE Lap field sharpener, as they are only $5 at USA Knifemakers. I did my fit and finish very well and I never consider how long for how much when I make a knife.

I only make a couple of knives a month, with the exception of the filet knives where I made 10 and lost one, but it was spread out over a couple of months. I've found myself doing leather work more lately from sheaths to purses and wrist/watch bands. I have found I like leatherworking as much as knifemaking. I can certainly sell it faster.lol Wait till you see my oyster shucker which kept getting put off and now I'm finally getting around too.

Oh the filet kives were HT at Peters HT as I don't have an oven either.

Last edited by jimmontg; 05-28-2017 at 10:15 AM.