View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 10:54 PM

So, it's a machine specifically designed for a completely controlled submersion in liquid nitrogen. However, it drops the temperature slow enough that there is no worries about thermal shock. It allows you to program your ramp rate and soak time.

https://www.nationalcryogenics.com/e...ll-new-ltk-27/

I have become fairly familiar with cryogenics since school, and have come to realize that there are quite a few misconceptions about how it is supposed to be performed. So I came to the forums to see how most other knife makers were doing it.

I have also read the following on Jay Fisher's website:

"What is the specific rate of cooling for most of these steels? 4-5 degrees Fahrenheit per minute. That means in order to reach -100?F, it should take about 40 minutes (from room temperature), and to reach -325?F should take about an hour and a half (from room temperature). This is why simply dipping blades into cryogenic baths of dry ice and alcohol or liquid nitrogen is a huge and destructive error, yet knifemakers who are uneducated in this process frequently do this, and tell others that it's the proper way to quench! Sad, truly sad for the knife client. The cryogenic process cooling rate is absolute and critical."

And I have yet to read anything that replaces a machine of this type. I am still in the learning curve, but I think it's an interesting concept.