View Single Post
Old 12-31-2016, 01:58 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
Would recommend making up several coupons of a known blade steel (such as 1084 or W2) and HT at diff temps mark well and break. If done with care you can have a nice reference set. For a long time I kept a set for each kind of steel I used, but they seem to have found alternate residences over the years.

Most don't realize how drastic a diff 100 deg can make.....velvet to cornbread in 15 seconds if you are not paying attention.
words of wisdom here , utilize them , I did the same thing as Carl, different temps, tests, recipes for reference.......

as for the ABS knife test, many get caught up in this as the way to test a blade as did I admittingly, so I did many back yard rope cuts, 2x4 tests and 90 degree bends myself and passed with flying colors.......someone please send me my stamp ! all kidding aside there are many options to this for testing durability and edge retention......I'm very picky with my heat treat and am confident that every blade leaves my shop as best as I can make it, no short cuts and no returns...

Happy New Year everyone !!