View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 10:42 AM
Skilled

Bill, I knew there were pictures of two Randall pistols in that catalog but I did not have a copy... and had forgotten the connection to Mr. Jack Crider, so my google efforts were not productive. With your help google rescued me this time. I found an on-line posting of the catalog on Mitchell Harrison's page, link is below.

http://www.randallmadeknife.com/1991...er-collection/

Here is page 11 from that catalog, and a blow-up of the discussion of each item. I would gladly have paid the price for those two sets.

Interesting is that there were not two but three matched sets made* ... each set with the serial numbers of the matching pistol etched onto the knives. One of the pistols in the catalog was 9mm, and the other was 45 cal. I don't know what the pistol in the third matched set in the Randall Museum was. Randall Firearms did make a few pistols in 38 special cal., so maybe that is possible. I think most of the Randall Firearms 9mm were sent to Europe and they are now harder to find. Their stainless magazines are also more difficult to locate.

Except for the matched sets, all other things being equal I'd rather have the 45 cal. pistol. The RF 9mms had the same single stack magazine as did the 45 cal., holding 7 rounds. If they had had the double-stack 9mm magazine holding 14 rounds instead of 7, well... that would be another story. Thanks for the tip.

* The story I read had Mr. Randall forwarding an engraved set of knives to Randall Firearms after receiving the pistols. I would speculate that the matching knives in these two sets, and the one in the museum were made after the fact to match the pistols. I also understood that RF sent two early pistols to RMK, but the 9mms were not made until after about one year of production... so it may be that these pistols were independently acquired with a knife made up to match them.

It also seems to me that during the '70s-80s, RMK generally favored using a Bear Bowie for an official shop presentation knife. So I would wonder if there may be two Bear Bowies floating around California or wherever, with something engraved on them from RMK to RF.

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-28-2017 at 01:02 PM.