View Single Post
Old 10-28-2016, 12:20 PM
Guru

knife steel and salt water?

Hey guys so this next knife is a birthday present for my uncle. he has always been a heavy hunter and fisher. so past couple years I thought he has been doing more hunting than fishing and I know he has a few clip point knives so I was going to make one of them however I found out he has gotten his boat fixed and this past year put it back in the water down on the long island sound. and his girlfriend told me since the boat has been in the water he has gone fishing almost every morning. so I got 2 questions. one I was never a heavy hunter and fisher just something to do with my dad and my uncle when I was young never got to much into it. so the clip point design would work well for hunting but maybe not the best for fishing. so for any of you guys out there that do hunt and fish is there any style of knife that you have used and can say yes it works good for both hunting and fishing? Second question I have 3 stainless steel bars 440c, 154cm, CPM S35vn, so as far as corrosion resistance 440c has the least cpms35vn has the most and 154cm falls in the middle I have done some reading comparing them and looked at a bunch of charts but never done any testing on the 3 as far as corrosion resistance so I am wondering how these charts translate to real life. so him fishing in the long island sound its salt water. would the 440c or 154cm still be good as long as its dried after use or with the salt watter should it really be done with the cpm s35vn.? I have a lot more of the 440c and 154cm so I would rather do it with that but I don't want to have the salt water ruin the knife either. this may be a very basic question but I have never used any of my knives in salt water and I know that is much more corrosive than plain water so any advice would be appreciated guys THANKS!