View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 11:47 AM

This is all great info...and kind of what I began suspecting. Although, I can absolutely confirm it is not a plating. Before i began working on the wrench provided I set the forge outide and dug out one of my own, same brand, size, etc. No fumes (detectable by flame colors anyway) , a little rough at first hammering it out (remedied by adding about 6-7 min more soaking). That's when I truly began wondering what I was dealing with...so out with another wrench, cut the open end off to check if it was the same. So it appeared. I also cross checked them against a 1"x4"x17" block of m2 (could be m3 though, the local metal supplier wasnt sure other than it being m series and they only carry m2 & m3). Sparks from the m series block are almost identical to the wrenches. The only difference is the block slowly, VERY slowly, forms a bit of rusting, the wrenches do not. The only difference I can tell is workability under heat. The wrenches can, and the m2 is a beast, litterally! I burned out 6 cutoff wheels just to get a 1'x4'x1/4" piece to play around with, and it almost devoured an unused, but full, 20# propane bottle! I would love to get the rest of that block shaved into 3/16"x4"x17" slabs, but no one around here "is capable" of that.
So back specifically to the wrenches: I do know they are a CrV tool steel, just not all of, or even truly specific numbers of composition.
Husky wrenches are made on the same production line as Kobalt, Snap-on, and a second high end hand tool brand that eludes me ATM. They are all produced by Stanley, which has offucially become the generic tool line that is actually plated. The plating looks galvanized, and I have no desire to even put that near ANY heat source. We (as humans) already consume enough toxins naturally found in food (you would be surprized how many "staple foods" are a readily available source of cyanide) . I have no need to be adding to it. So I gues my next question would be, would it help to do a differential heat treat. My friend knows that I am just learning, and not to expect anything spectacular. He just really likes anything that was actually "hand made".....thank god! Lol