View Single Post
Old 08-02-2002, 07:16 AM
Living Legend

Like Don, I grind edge up. I grind with my weak hand first. If I grind with my good hand (Right) I can't seem to match it with the left hand on the other side of the blade. If I grind with my weak hand and get what I want I have the ability to match it well with my right hand. I just don't have the left hand control I wish I did.

I use a small rest when profiling, freehand the rest of the time. I don't wear gloves, EVER. I have had them cause me injuries because of my having a bad grip on the blade and the grinder grabbing the blade out of my hand. I grind bare handed for control and safety.

You will experience heat but over a time you will get used to it. When grinding a hollow, (depending on how you hold the blade) you can get hit with sparks. I support the blade (Spine,) with my index finger and push on the blade with my thumb. This puts your finger right in line with sparks coming off the blade. You can get a little pile of grinding dust (HOT grinding dust) that builds up on your finger. You also have your thumb right in front of the belt, the HOTTEST place to be. Over time you will get a callouses there and it won't bother you anymore. Just have your water bucket close.

Many people grind by holding the tang and grinding but I have trouble controlling the tip of the blade from the tang end. I have to get my grubby fingers on the part of the blade being ground.

I grind in both directions like Don and have no problems with it. I cut a bevel on the edge to keep from stripping my belt, then start to grind a little ways into the blade. After I get a hollow started I push the edge of the knife towards the wheel to get the hollow wider and get the edge close to where I want it. Then I push the spine in to widen the hollow to the width I want for that blade. Lighten up the pressure and even everything out. Check your plunge cuts and make sure they are very close. Go to smaller grit and redo everything, cleaning up any small mistakes. Just progress down in grits to a finished blade. Keep the blade moving or you will get the 2" disease.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!