View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 07:48 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutchtip View Post
I would think it unlikely knowing Bo's reputation for conserving resources, particularly forged blades he was paying for 80 years ago, I highly doubt he substituted another blade when he could use the same one with some minor changes.
I can see that as a possibility Joe, but I can also see the flip side that rather than destroying a knife that is perhaps his first, the knife of today is just one of a number that he did in 37-38.
Didn't Gaddis write that after Bo completed the knife and had a sheath made for it, he sold it a couple years later? He also stated that Bo put a pin in the stag. Do you detect a pin in the earlier version?
I do see many similarities in the stag, I grant you, but there is much that troubles me too. The ball of the stag looks more prominent in the 1938 picture, and the white ring that circles the ball is thicker and more prominent in the 1938 photo.
I definitely see similarities, and I guess there is a chance that it could be one in the same, but to identify either one without that absolute proof, it's just a theory. We don't have absolute evidence that the one Gaddis pictured on page 44 is either, do we? Do you see evidence of a pin in the photo? I know the photo is sketchy, but I don't think I would bet the farm on it either.
What we do know, with 100% certainty is that the knife today is the same as the one pictured on page 44 taken in 1938. That is outstandingly cool!
Joe, are any of the other knives in that 1938 photo accounted for?
Other than the ones in the shop, are there any others out there that you know of?
Was the etching on the blade done by Bo early on, or was it a later addition?
And yes, the bottle opener is mentioned in the book.

Thanks Joe,
Sam

Last edited by samg; 12-16-2017 at 08:34 PM.