Thread: Mircata
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2003, 04:29 PM

I've compared Micarta prices among the major suppliers and usually end up going with Koval. They have a good selection from a few different brands. I've had pretty much good experiences with all of the suppliers I've dealt with - Texas, Koval, Sheffield, and K&G, would recommend any of them. Anyone interested in knifemaking should really have all of their catalogs on hand. Then you can compare the price on whatever Micarta you're interested in and see what one place has that others don't.

Pops (James Poplin) has black linen Micarta (I think it's a different brand but equivalent) for cheaper than the suppliers, or at least he used to. He had it listed at 9" x 9", but I think he'll cut it whatever size you want and charge accordingly if you ask. He's always good to deal with, too.

If you live in or near a fair sized city you can pick up "natural" canvas micarta in different sizes from industrial plastic supply places pretty cheap. Look in the yellow pages under "Plastics". Sometimes they'll have remnants or cutoffs. The color isn't consistant from one piece to the next so watch out for that. The stuff I've got has been brown or tan.

HTH,

Ben