View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 02:29 AM
Registered

Steve Johnson is a true gentlman, a thank you to him

In short, my dad grew up with Steve in Manti, apparently Steve wasn't to picky about his friends Anyway 9 years ago dad died. Before he died he made sure that I got one of his prize posessions, a beautiful little rosewood hunting knife that he and Steve had made in 1965-66(according to Steve) in Hibbens shop. I am not a collector, nor was dad, we're hunters so this knife had been used for 30 years. I worked with dad so I had heard about his years of friendship and adventures with Steve, and I knew how proud he was of Steves success and the fact that he owned a small piece of Steves early work. To shorten the story a little, I now own this knife, and had a son of my own. Dad never met him, so it became increasingly important that I pass on to my son(now sons) something that dad had(by the way Steve, my younger son will get dads old British .303 if you remember that gun). I had locked this knife in the safe, saving it for him. On a whim I reached out to Steve, telling him who I was and what I had(I had only met Steve once as a small kid). Steve responded back that not only did he remember the knife, he would like to "tune it up" for me. I sent it to him. Not only did Steve return this knife to near new condition, he stamped it with his SR Johnson trademark and included a letter with it about the knife and some of its history. I was floored! I now have one of those family heirlooms that is priceless to me, and will be to my son as well. Steve did this out of the kindness of his heart, at no cost, just to be good guy.
I have hoped to find a way to make it known what this meant to me, and would have meant to my dad when tonight I stumbled across this site. Like I said, my knives(other than this one) are tools for gutting and skining, but I joined this site just to publically thank Steve and to let his colleagues and fans know that he is a stand up quality guy!! Thanks Steve!!!

Nick Jorgensen