View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 07:42 AM
Skilled

ATP-641 is for both scale and decarb prevention. I find it to work best with a second coat after the first is thoroughly dry, and I also apply a third coat along the cutting edge, to about a 1/4" or so up the bevel.
Now, I have a question. Why would you bother to cryo treat 01? Any positive results would be very minor and insignificant. If cryo makes a notable difference in your 01, it would indicate that there may be something lacking in your overall HT.
As far as the oven process, I would recommend you go with the heat application that Ray Rogers described. 01 is not subject to aus grain problems arising from a cold start, and as Ray said, most, if not all, recipes for 01 HT call for a pre-heat, usually at or about 1250?. Now call me foolish or gullible, but when three or four different steel metallurgists recommend to me a stress relief heat soak for 01, I kinda figure they may know something that I don't.
Now maybe it's just me, but I feel that I should believe and follow at least most of what actual metallurgists who major in steel recommend, rather than someone who gets a little knowledge and then decides they can go maverick and do better, or do it easier. Whether or not their methods may seem to work. Often it turns out that their method may work for them, but not you.