View Single Post
Old 04-03-2017, 07:42 AM
Guru

IF your going to have someone else heat treat it go for 440c as ray suggested. IF you want to heat treat your own knife. Honestly forget about making a wole knife right off the bat The chances of you getting the heat treat right on the first shot is EXTREMELY rare. And you don't want to waste time and material putting a handle on it. Basicly if your going to do it your self build a forge get some 1084 carbon steel (its the easiest heat treat) when you have that let us know and I am sure there will be a few of us willing to help. BUT most likely your going to cut the shape out and heat treat it and one of the things you need to doo to see if the heat treat was good is break the knife in half to check the grain...but do you see my point? why put a handle on a knife your going to break in half.....Once you get the heat treat right then and only then can you make a knife and not a knife shaped object....to me heat treating is the most important thing you do to a knife with out it you mide as well put a edge on a piece of soft mild steel and have it go dull after cutting a couple of cardboard boxes open