Thread: First Knives
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast

Hey guys, haven't been posting for a bit, but I haven't stopped making or reading your posts. I didn't get a chance to finish the last knife. The buddy I was making it for decided after I showed him the progress last time, that he wanted to try and finish it himself. To be honest I'm glad I'm done with that one. For now I plan to just make knives I would use/like, and if I feel like giving them away, I will. That is my mindset with my current knife (I'll add pictures in the next little bit) and I'm enjoying the process more this way. Less worry about whether or not someone else will like it. Just wanted to post that in case any newbies are reading this and looking to make knives for friends. I absolutely love making things for my friends and family, but in my opinion the hobby is for your enjoyment, so try and keep that in mind.

anyways......

The real reason I'm posting again, is that I'm looking for some feedback/opinions on filework. Specifically filework that isn't just decorative, but will work well as jimping (if that's possible). I've been experimenting a little bit on some scrap steel, but so far the patterns I've tried, while looking nice, don't actually add a lot of extra grip compared to just plain toothy (not sure what the proper term would be) jimping. If someone has come across a pattern they have found works well in wet conditions I would be very interested/appreciative if you could share your ideas.