View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 08:38 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
When fitting a slip on guard I finish it by filing it. I do not understand the problem. I file the hole until it barely fits and pound it down the rest of the way.

Remember I was a precision sheet metal mechanic and sometimes worked with parts with less than .003 tolerances. One time I had to do parts with no tolerances, it was in defense aerospace. How much do you think that cost the taxpayer? Does anyone here know what a MX Missile is?

There is no "problem" per se. MY only point was the nice little fillet formed with the JB Weld or solder, is visually appealing to me in that it hides the sharp seam between the guard and blade. No matter how tightly it fits, *there is still a seam there.
As far as tolerances, because of 30 years of working with small parts and fabricating in precious metals, I can hand file with pretty much a gap-less fit, and without the use of calipers. You just go until it fits, nibble away a little at a time. No need to measure, when you're there you're there. Granted, I have little experience with hidden tang designs and I've never "pounded it on" with a hammer...which, if it were a tight fit to start with would certainly make it tighter. But even without gaps, there is still a seam there that looks nicer with a fillet of some sort IMO. A nice side effect is it hides minute gaps that are inevitable for most people when doing anything by hand AND seals against moisture.

That was my only point. Forgetting all other advantages, *visually it just looks better to me.

* I make that statement having never seen one of your fits and that's why I asked to see a photo.

PS I don't know anything about missiles but may go to NY and visit dtec to see his backyard, anti-DMV version.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!