View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Skilled

I have a few questions here. I have followed this thread since the beginning and watched it as it developed. It is very hard to get a definition that encomposses everything that everyone wants. With that being said I wanted to make a couple of comments. Trying to make a two part definition with the deciding factor being power tools or no power tools and no computers was very interesting. I understand the belief that using some automated machine takes away from it being done by a person, but I was wondering if people 100 years ago thought the same thing when power saws were starting to be used. I could imagine some of the same type of conversations being discussed. Something like how can it be hand made when you used a power saw to cut the blade out. Kinda like now, how can the blade be hand made when you used a laser to cut the blade out and not a saw. Writing is not one of my best attributes so I hope you were able to figure out what I was trying to say. To me it takes just as much skill to get the design of a knife you want out of your head and into a computer as it does to get it out of your head onto a piece of steel to be cut out by a hacksaw or band saw, but that is a whole different arguement. I do complement you guys for trying to tackle this project and do such a good job with all of you unharmed in the process. Best of luck to you all.