View Single Post
Old 11-26-2017, 08:43 PM
Enthusiast

Interesting . . . . . .
I still watch the show, but for entertainment not for instructional value.
It takes me well over 3 hours to grind a blade . . . . .

Anyway, I couldn't find any brass rod, (will order some on line) but I did have a 3/8th inch lag bolt with a 2 inch section without threads. I cut the head off easily with my hack saw, so it is softer than the non-heat treated D2 steel. Tried the test with this, still couldn't see any deflection, but still no burrs or chipping.
So, I tried the cardboard cutting test. I had 10 pieces of cardboard that were 2 feet x 5 feet. I use it for target backing, and needed them shorter anyway. The first 3 were simple single thickness corrugated cardboard, and the blade slid through them easily with one hand. The remaining seven were double thickness heavy duty corrugated cardboard. The blade went through the first two relatively easily, but required more force than the first three as expected. By the time I got to the last three I needed to use two hands, one on each side to push the blade through, but it made it all the way without tearing the cardboard, and the cuts were quite straight.
I used a 10x magnifier to look at the edge and couldn't see any flat spots, but testing with my thumb I could feel that it wasn't as sharp as before. It took about 15 to 20 minutes using my 1200 grit diamond stone to bring the edge back to hair shaving sharp.
So, what do you think????

I was also surprised that the testing didn't scrape off any of the color case hardening on the sides.