Thread: D2
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 02:35 PM
Enthusiast

D2

It's been a little while since I last posted a question, but having thrown my back out just after Thanksgiving, then having hernia surgery, and having to replace my old computer (can't complain too much though, I kept the old one going for 13 years!) Anyway, I was finally able to get back out in my shop!

To my question. I had purchased some D2 steel from NJSB, but after the responses to my questions last year I began to think D2 may not have been a wise decision. But, being frugal, I was loathe to just let it go to waste, so I have cut and shaped a couple blades. They are now to the point of needing heat treating. I found those old responses and have watched several U-Tube videos. It appears the best way forward is plate quenching. Several places sell aluminum quenching plates, for in excess of $150! Buying 1 inch thick aluminum to make plates would still cost close to $100. Not good options since I don't intend to purchase any more D2. However, I do already have in my possession a couple large, very flat steel plates over 1 inch thick. Can these be used to do the plate quench????

Also, where would be the most economical place to purchase stainless foil to wrap the blades during heat treating?

I have a very good jeweler's kiln that will reach in excess of 2000 degrees, and it heats up slowly so a nice even heat through the entire blade can be achieved.