View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 12:21 AM
Guru

Dan, or Rusty rat

Sheffield Knife Supply still has Dymondwood, but Dtec bought all their single set scales. Dymondwood is like stabilized, but birch plywood impregnated with dyed polymer/plastic(different colors). It's been around since before I made knives in the early 90s. Great stuff and cheaper than stabilized and still sold in slabs. Factory burnt down and what's left is what's left. It is as good as any stabilized, but can be gaudy colors. Don't buy it from USA Knife Makers as they charge way too much.

Dtec sent me a knife made from a new material called Gwood that is a mix of G10 and wood, I think it looks good, btw Dave the knife is outstanding in performance, not sure I'm sending it back.

As Ray said some knives the use determines their handle and steel too. A skinner? I will use an exotic hardwood. A kitchen knife a synthetic. Don't forget bone or antler either. I made a Damascus knife set and one will have zebra bone with the knuckle as the end of the handle. $400,lol.

If you would like some WIAC or WOOD IN A CAN it's out there, but doesn't really look like wood. Corian from countertops is available, different stroke for different folks. Be careful with some of the acrylics as they can be a little brittle and on a full tang, hard to make even with the metal.

Welcome to the world of making knives, do what pleases you or your customers and tell some of them I'm sorry I don't do that and charge too much if they insist.