View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 10:24 PM

Newbee looking for input on results of HT

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/album.php?albumid=525

I have three pictures in the album showing the bend, break, and grain from testing my first HT. I broke it on purpose without tempering first to see what would happen so I can learn from it. What I want to know is if this is the expected result for a blade broken after HT and any advice if I should do it differently. I appreciate any input. This is my first and I want to get the HT part right before I go on to finish a blade.
Here are the particulars: Used 1080 and canola oil quench. Heated till non magnetic in a gas two brick forge. My oil was about 70 degrees. After it cooled a file skipped along the spine the same as on my Mora knife. I did not temper but went ahead and put the tip in the vice and bending from the end of handle had about a 45 degree bend before it snapped. But a lot of that was flexing in the handle area the back half of which had not reached HT temperature. If I had bent just the treated blade I don?t think it would have flexed so far. Any input would be appreciated.