Thread: knife sharpener
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Electric knife sharpeners have long had a bad reputation due to the fact that some early models would overheat the blade causing loss of temper (yours and the knife's) and because they often removed a lot of metal that really didn't have to be removed just to get the knife sharp which caused excessive wear on the blade.

I'm not sure about your Presto sharpener but I know that my Chef's Choice doesn't have those problems, the technology has improved considerably. I think they are a great way to get a quick edge on a working knife. However, the edge you get isn't the same as the edge you get from a manual system like a Lansky or an Edge Pro. I would not deliver a hand made knife to a customer with an electric edge on it. Also, as knife makers we are often most concerned about how to get that first edge on a new knife and electric sharpeners are all but useless for that. They are designed to remove the minimum metal necessary to get a sharp edge on a slightly dull knife, they won't put an edge on a crow bar. So, electric sharpeners have a place in our shops but you'll still need a good manual system of some kind....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!