View Single Post
Old 10-26-2003, 08:35 PM
Steel Addict

Hi,
You got me curious on the heavy cloth. I went out and sewed a blue jean shirt sleeve shut. No problem.
You will find that the BOSS is touchy on tension and stitches per inch settings. If you go from a thick to a thin material without adjusting, the stitches will be closer together. So do some sample pieces and take notes on the setting locations for repeatability.
You will have to make index marks on the adjustments as the BOSS has no reference points. If you deal mainly with one type of leather and sheath style, you will love the BOSS. If you remember to readjust when changing thicknesses, you will love it even more.
Wildrose is absolutely right on the long runs. It starts feeling like the Bataan Death Stitch when doing a belt or rifle sling. Once in a while is ok, but for production get a Bull! For normal sheaths for a small time maker, BOSS seems to be ok. I talked with Caveman Engineering(Geno Denning), and several others, they love theirs. I simply refuse to drill holes and hand stitch as I worked for years with waxed twine and threads sewing electrical cable forms for control panels and Dial Central Offices. I still have wrist and joint problems from that.
After 2 years of testing, asking, and looking, I drove 30 miles down the road and got the previously mentioned BOSS from Pop.
It clamps easily to a Black and Decker workmate table. If you want more stability, get the cute bench from Tippmann or fasten to a larger workbench.
Oh, on an interesting note. One nice lady made the comment that the BOSS is only "ready to go when you are." I asked ??? and she showed me a neatly scarred finger. She managed to become part of her work with the electric machine. She has never done that with the BOSS.
Anyway, your machine choice should be governed by what you plan to make, the quantity of what you will make, then look for the best deal in that category.
Enjoy, Ken

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on the menu. Liberty is a well-armed sheep.