Thread: stainless
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 09:07 PM

Anything will work for a guard, some even use G10, or carbon fiber, horn, bone, etc. N.S. and brass are fine, unless you are interested in tarnishing, or not tarnishing. I guess SS would last longer, but either of these would last more than a lifetime, if half-way taken care of. SS will not tarnish, requires less upkeep, stays bright forever. However, it takes longer to work and will it will still scratch, though not as easily as the brass and nickel silver. Many collectors don't want to have to polish their knives, or handle fittings. Others like the patina of brass, N.S., mokume or bronze fittings. Actually, the latter often are first choice when it comes to mating handle materials and damascus blades.......they seem more appropriate. A mountain man's knife would require N.S. or brass, IMO. A $5000 fighter would require SS, again, my opinion. Many, many ABS knifemakers never even THINK stainless, I would guess, just not appropriate for many of the styles that they make........don't get me wrong, SS certainly has it's place there, also, if it's desired by the maker, or the customer. It's all a matter of how the knife is going to be used, handled and also the opinions of those involved in their manufacture, be it the customer or the maker. I think I'd best stop!

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift