View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lester View Post
The shape of the knife looks good. The little dents in the blade are probably from hitting the blade too hard and thinning the steel more in that spot than you wanted to. I'm not sure about the "grainy" marks that you are too.
They could be from forging scale into the hot steel. Always brush the scale off the face of the anvil when you're taking another heat.

Doug
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtec1 View Post
Wnc not sure if you realized this yet. But recently I have been working on some blades my friend forged. To me any way those hammer marks always go deeper than they look so be carful not to thin the blade out to much. If it starts getting thin hit it with a scotch brite belt and it comes out as a very nice forged finish....just figured I would share I made that mistake thinning out a blade too much.
Yeah, I realize those dimple areas are hammer marks that went too deep. I suppose a smoother more consistent surface comes with experience. I intend to leave the forged finish on the flats, and a small amount on the bevel is okay too, I really like that rustic look. But what is left on this one is too deep.

Doug, I kind of doubt that grain is from forging scale on the anvil. It is a symmetrical pattern almost like a wood grain and it all runs longitudinally along the blade. Also only showed up below the surface after grinding. Forging scale would be random/unsymmetrical and likely only on the surface. I can see some surface dimpling from scale, this is in the metal.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!