View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 10:35 AM
Skilled

Color is not particularly useful for brown Micarta age determination., even before the differences in photo lighting, etc. I am not that knowledgeable about brown Micarta ... here is where some expertise would be useful, IF the "experts" could refrain from being obnoxious. However, that said....

I've read a good deal about Micarta and one thing is apparent... the old stuff cannot be replicated, each batch was different, and the cut made a big difference in the appearance. A close look at the Bowie's handle by a couple of experts in Micarta (not knife people necessarily, Micarta people) could give a good answer. As Bill said, comparing the Micarta on the m14 knife Sam posted, to the subject Bowie knife is not useful as the m14 Micarta is years younger (or older), either 1960-ish or after about 1972, and a from different generation of Micarta.

Here is a knife Stephen owns (?) (and for which I would gladly accept a transfer of guardianship) that is almost certainly 1960-61 vintage. It appears to be similar to the subject Bowie Micarta.. Notably, it's color and appearance is markedly different from the brown stuff used on the Astros of the that time period (see second picture below).

What is my opinion? The finger grooves are just exquisite and the entire handle is very well done, better than most of the kit Bowies I've seen. It would take a craftsman to make that handle and partly for that reason I think that handle is shop-constructed. Of course it could have been rehandled in the shop later... After considering and respecting Scott's opinion, for what it's worth I vote for original. And I think it could be proved by close examination of the Micarta... but that is just an opinion and we all know what that is worth ... Ciao

PS: Sam, I do think there is a decorative plate installed on top of what is probably a recessed tang nut. See below...

Last edited by Jacknola; 02-01-2017 at 09:23 PM.