View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 08:15 PM
Skilled

Cut, what a unique knife, interesting features and stamp, and with a sterling history. That makes it so unique... what a knife.

Quick update... I can find no reference to the location of General Westmoreland's knife.. or for that matter memorabilia. His papers are at the University of South Carolina, South Caroliniana (odd that spelling) Library but they have not responded yet to my E-mail about his estate.

General Westmoreland's son and wife may have the estate pieces including knife. I may try to contact them... I have a history that would make it less intrusive. I'll let everyone know if I am successful in finding his artifacts.

I thought I'd post another couple of pictures of brand new Randalls that seem to have Delrin-like handles. Actually the catalog referes to this material as "ivorite" which was what Delrin was called back in the day. But these are not Delrin?.

(Edit correction: The "ivorite" offered in current catalogs, beginning about 2010?, is an option for most knives...HOWEVER, this "ivorite" is appparently not Delrin but is described by some dealers as being a white "macarta." It is also described elsewhere as being a high quality phenolic resin material such as used for billiard balls - source of information was attributed to Gary Randall. One commercial example of a common phenolic resain material is bakalite. While phenolic resins are constructed similar to micarta, they differ in some important ways. Oh well....) The above is just to illustrate that you cannot always rely on popular descriptions of products.

On another matter, I'm thankful for this forum which fortunately is not dominated by semi -commercial so called "topics" that seem primarily intended to sell knives.

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-18-2017 at 09:55 AM.