View Single Post
Old 09-28-2016, 10:32 AM
Skilled

Hi Tom. Here is the m19 with finger grips (not my knife, don't know where this one is. Note edit: 3-24-2017 - on another site Michael Mason is the confirmed owner of this fine and unique knife) that I posted a couple of times on page 1 and 2 (I originally mistook it for a m11). It actually is important for dating Delrin because this was apparently a transitional blade shape from the older version to the newer one that was finally completed in 1967 after about a year of experimentation (note picture and discussion in Sheldon's book p. 80, and Gaddis pp. 210-211). It is almost certainly dated in mid 1966 based on type 3 post early-1966 blade stamp with separate S, as well as the blade shape.

Note: this knife is probably the same m19 pictured in the old group photo of Delrin handled knifes on page 1 post 15.

Yep Tom, you started this Delrin focus by selling me that 1-8/2-8 set. Actually the process began as an offshoot in the "dating Bowie" line... Questions about a Delrin handle Bowie led to research and eventually splitting the Delrin posts into this line. That led to finding pictures of your knife set. Since they were Vietnam era, I needed them and you obliged. Unfortunately, since most Delrin is from the Vietnam era, I was then required to find them some friends and family to make them comfortable. $thousands later it has become a true cancerous growth....thanks a lot (LOL).

Discussions* beget discussions and new lines. "Bowie" started with dating coolee caps. That discussion then begat Delrin handle research, which begat escutcheon plate dating, model 3 chronology, etc.

Re: Ivory handled sale. I'm not sure of rules here. "Moosehead" could advise, or you could post a bunch of pictures in a new line here, or in the photo gallery. You could post a note as part of the presentation to contact you. Also, the wider knifenetwork site may have a sale site...I know they have an "exchange" gallery.

*Discussion here is generally characterized by polite exchanges of thoughts backed up with examples and explanation, not what occurs elsewhere with strident ego-driven avowals, zero examples, explanation, research, or backup, followed by name calling. This board is probably the best on the net for discussing vintage Randalls ... by far.

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-26-2017 at 03:45 PM.