View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Skilled

So the propane torch burner fit inside so snugly, I didn't even need the set thumb screws. So I proceeded to fire it up. But it became Immediately apparent something wasn't quite right.

The flame was not at all torch-like and was burning outside of the forge. Maybe I just need to give it more gas!!! WELL that produced an impressive flame thrower anyway, but still not a forge.

Humm.... seems the flame was burning outside of the chamber as if the gas was just passing through... seemed like it wasn't sucking oxygen into it somehow. So I decided to drill out the flask/burner flange with some air holes.

Success! This produced the desired results.

Great little afternoon project. I believe with some tweaking I can get the heat to be pretty impressive in there. Debating whether to take the time and trouble to coat the wool with refractory cement or such. Seems pretty good as is. I have some small ceramic squares made for heat distribution on a grill that I will put in the bottom to lay a blade on. Still not sure the burner should have been a little closer to the opening. A longer knife and the tang area will be out of the hottest heat. Anyway, I'll put some steel in it tomorrow and see how it heats up.

Thanks Ray and dtec for the tips!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!