View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 05:49 PM
Skilled

Jack and Ron,
I enjoy reviewing previous threads, I have learned so much from your methodical research and years of observation.
I was drawn to this one, as we don't see baby dot snaps on Heiser sheaths. However, after looking closely at the original sheath that you posted in this thread Jack, as far as the keeper is concerned, I think you may be looking at a replacement keeper. One of the reasons they went to a diagonal keeper is that on the horizontal one, the blade side of the knife cut into the strap when drawn and returned to the sheath. The diagonal design eliminated this problem.
The keeper of discussion appears to not have the tooling of all keepers that I have observed in that era have. Also the end of the keeper appears a little rough. Along with what appears to be a darker stain on the edge. Not that someone couldn't have added a bit of stain, and perhaps the end of the strap past the snap was too long for the owner, and they trimmed it. I have seen many of the old sheaths where the keeper is gone, or like the Bowie that I just purchased, it was replaced. That was easy to do, unlike the diagonal keepers.
As to the stone pouch snap, can't speak to that other than we know that the brown buttons were delicate, maybe that one popped off, and it was replaced too.

In the pic below, the keeper on the right is the subject of this thread, the left keeper is a standard Heiser horizontal keeper.

Last edited by samg; 02-11-2017 at 07:31 PM.