View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 08:49 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
Rust spots like the one near the end of the edge usually indicates a "cold shut" were the weld didn't take. The ferric will go in deep to a open and is very hard to kill. Don't feel it affects the integrity of the blade unless directly on the edge. Sometimes you can kill by soaking in a baking soda rich solution, rinsing with windex, completely drying and oiling. Mostly depends on how deep the cold shut goes.

Very interesting pattern for sure. Have done similar with cable that was questionable and some masonry saw blade then used for outside layers of a 1095 core on a large San Mai blade. Lot of work for a small knife.
It WAS a lot of work for sure. My small group of people and I have a good bit of experience with this cable as one of our guys works on a yard where he gets it for free. It hardens up and skates a file. The rust spots are all on the surface as far as I was able to tell, I DID examine it thoroughly for cold shuts. The one thing I didn't do was polish it back to shiny on the 15n20 before dropping it in the oil. It went straight from the ferric to Windex to the oil soak. I plan on trying this again, next time I'll be a lot more thorough with the cleaning between etches.

If I built issues into it I'm pretty sure a 9 year old using it with appropriate supervision will find them.