View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 11:48 PM
Skilled

Day-um Bill, you surely can drop some bombs. What a unique package made even curiouser by all the questions.

- was this Randall full tang originally handled in Delrin or is it a later re-handle...or even a new creation on an old blade? Is it authentic period? If so this and the ebony handled 14 that Joe showed are the only Vietnam era full tang knives I've seen handled with odd ball material.

- the sheath is awesome.. but it seems to be a Byrd copy of a Johnson split back. Do you know what the original sheath looked like?

- The etching, Randall Made over W Germany is something I've pondered quite a bit. Randall began etching the Solingen trademark with the receipt of orders placed in 1963. But I don't know if the use of "W. Germany" preceded the use of "Solingen" in the trade mark, or was as later variant.

If it was early, this blade could be from a shipment received in 1963. Or it could be the last group of blades from Germany, which may have been made somewhere other than in Solingen Valley. Because the trademark doesn't have the scimitars, I suspect this is an early mark before the pantograph was created for etching the Solingen logo.

Where the heck did you find this?