View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 11:50 AM

I actually hit non magnetic around 1650?, but after reading about tripling from normalizing (which actually happens because of my back anyway) to heat treat to temper, I decided to try that method. Pre heat treat the blade was amlost mirror finished (to ensure there were no ridges). I had so little decarb I had to look really really hard to find just a little bit on the spine. After the 3rd heat treat I quickly removed the oil using a light sanding that also removed the decarb. Then 3 tempers at 400?, which (after 3) yeilded a rich deep golden color all over.
After it cooled the 3rd time i wet sanded 120 & 220 grit, then dry sanded with 1k grit for a glass smooth semi-gloss finish. After all of that, it will flex and return to shape with 50# of torque, and took me almost 2 hours to file the edge to almost sharp. I'm headed out to finish the edge in about an hour...after i finish fitting and attaching the rams horn scales. This little pocket cleaver is #### near bullet proof, and I mean litterally, because I feel like I could unload a few 357sig magazines at it and it would be still good to go.
The whole 3x of normalizing to tempering led me to think about the original source of material. I have an old 1 1/4 wrench that was damaged. I think I will try that process with the wrench and report back with the results of it, but i may need a bigger propane bottle first! Working on this little ckeaver ate about 2/3 of a 20# bottle!