View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 05:22 PM

I too thought the poll was open. My mistake.

I suggested this definition which is a modified version of Nathan's:
CUSTOM KNIFE: A single knife produced to unique specifications with characteristics which set it apart from production knives. They are most often made and/or finished by hand.

You said this in reply:
"I not sure I see a material difference between that definiton and definition #1 in my post. I see your point, but I think that any unique knife which is made by hand is custom. That aside though, doesn't that defintion say that if a knife maker decides to make a second knife, perhaps sometime later, that is identical to the one he made before that it is no longer custom by virtue of no longer being unique? True. I would argue that the original then becomes a prototype for a line of hand-made production models. Not 'factory', but small scale production, just the same. Even if you have none in stock and someone orders one it is no longer custom.
The mention of production knives may also cloud the definition. I know what you mean there but many knives made by knife makers may or may not be better made that production knives (William Henry comes to mind although they may be semi-production). For instance, the typical tactical with S30V blade, titanium frame, and G-10 handle can be found in both camps. An argument could be made that the knife maker produced knife is better for one reason or another, and it may even be true today, but it may not be true tomorrow. Let me be clear here. The value in a handmade knife is in the fact that it is handmade. My knives are not better performers than every factory knife on the planet, but they cost more than most. Value and cost is not determined solely by performance. It's exclusivity and the individual nature of the knife that draws collectors to it. No factory knife which has thousands of identical siblings can compete with that aspect of hand mades.I think this makes the definition unnecessarily narrow.

Also, the reference to being made by hand will bring up an additional question especially once we define 'hand made' since, whatever the definition of handmade may turn out to be, it will mean that only knives made that way can be considered custom ..."

----------------

It seems that the primary rift in our thought processes hinges on the requirement for an outside person to order the knife.

My example of the maker providing a knife made to the specs of the Wichita PD points out what I considier to be the flaw in your argument. All of those knives, made by hand or not, are custom knives according to both of the definitions you have offered. My position is that none of those knives are custom because they are not unique. Perhaps the argument could be made that they are built on a custom design, but they are not custom knives because they aren't unique.

Perhaps I've just talked myself squarely into being wrong since we are discussing the single word 'custom', but let's not assume that yet.

By your definition, they are a 'custom' model. However, I argue that they would still be custom even if they were first designed by the maker to fill the unique need of those officers even before the city became interested in buying them. He could bring the design to them and say, "I've custom designed this knife for the officers of your department--Just as Joe made a big, custom birthday knife for his dad the swamp ranger.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Last edited by Andrew Garrett; 04-10-2007 at 01:13 AM.