View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 02:31 PM
Steel Addict

dtec1, what sort of knife did you have in mind/its application? This info would help us in helping you.

I'll give my thoughts on each, with no real world experience with XHP, nor the new Nitro-V.

AEB-L is an awesome stainless steel, as I am sure you know. It has exceptionally fine grain, it has decent wear resistance with the K2 carbide, is stainless enough for most application, takes an edge just about as easily as carbon steel, and holds it. I disagree with Jim on the fact that AEB-L should be used 57-59, and that it gets chippy above it. Our home kitchen users are in AEB-L at 62HRC, and have had no chipping issues whatsoever. My opinion is that most all steels should not be used below 60HRC. Need more toughness choose different steel.

CTS HXP (I think you mis-typed HXB), is characterized as a stainless D2, or a 440C that gets harder than 440C. Take that for what you will. I think it is well regarded by those who use it.

Finally, Nitro V, and again, this is just personal opinion, but does not impress me over AEB-L. I don't think it will be as wear resistant as AEB-L, but will be a little bit "tougher", technically, and more stainless than AEB-L. The Vanadium is a very small dose (0.05%), and the Nitrogen is 0.12%. I think the nitrogen will free up more of the chromium, essentially making the steel like 12c27. Just my thoughts on the 3, understanding that you can't always tell a steel's performance simply by looking at the numbers.