View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 08:54 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I use thin sheet metal for my patterns. Usually just trace the pattern with a Sharpie as you do. Cut the profile out with a bandsaw, that's pretty close to the outline. Grind the rest, more or less. Done. I do not care one tiny bit that the profile is not exactly like the pattern, I don't want my knives to be identical, each one is unique. To the eye they still appear to be the same model because they are but if you start measuring them you'll find that no two are really the same.

That goes for folders too and I've made hundreds of them that same way. If you must have a more accurate pattern then paint your metal with Dye-Kem and scratch the pattern on the steel. As long as you don't let the steel get too hot the pattern usually lasts long enough to finish the profiling and it doesn't wash off easily.

Think of your knife making as an art form rather than a manufacturing operation. Your knives will each have a unique character and you won't have to struggle so hard trying to be exact about anything ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!